History of the
The Nirmanee Development Foundation (NDF) is one decade old grass
roots organization working with mainly rural poor of Sri Lanka. It
is registered under the social registration act of Sri Lanka.
The founder Nimal Hewanila was working with other non-government
organization as a project coordinator of the project called change
agent .The project mainly focus on mobilization of poor in order
to reach their right and changing attitude towards handling of
their lives. When that project has over he started the foundation
with village people and some colleagues. NDF is based in Kegalle
district of sabaragamuwa province in Sri Lanka.Kegalle district
is one of poorest district in the island. The exiting social
system is neglecting Poor's need and developing monopoly of all
resources. Corrupted political and social system is created dependency
for poor people. It is also neglecting environmental issues and
human rights. The result is poor get poor while rich is getting
rich. Kegalle is famous for Tea and rubber cultivation. These
plantations used to use lot of chemical for plantation and most
land abandon because of no more fertile in Land. There are less
food production and people are depending on out side resource.
Same time district has resources and knowledge. Still abandon
land can rehabilitate and can introduce organic system for Tea
and Rubber plantation. People can cultivate their own vegetables
and can be independence from dependencies. But it needs very
strong mobilization and activities to cater the problems.
NDF believes that
an every one has capacities to develop them selves and live with
dignity with out any discriminate. Hence it is important to make
opportunity for the needy people to handle their own lives. The
foundation has a vision of consolidating people in to groups
and vibrant organs of primary local governance, federations them
into strong pressure lobby for poor and environment development.
A host of continuing dialogues, debates, educational, and other
activities with the people, facilitated by the foundation tries
to translate vision into reality.
over the years,
the programmed evolved from the meeting the simple sustenance
need of the groups members to empowering them in order to address
the larger issues of food security, natural resources enhancement education and health need of the district. The integration of
the varies activities is intended to retrieve Poor's natural
leadership position in their communities, and to fight the lack
of access and control over the their resources. These activities
alongside ensuring earth care are resulting in human care by
giving the poor a new found dignity and profile in their village
Nirmanee Development Foundation's mission is to contribute towards
the sustainability of the society by empowering of the people.
1. Formed up community based organizations
2. Revitalization of Environment
3. providing Training on identified subjects
4. Providing job opportunities for rural poor youth.
5. Research and publication
6. Reclamation of Traditional knowledge
7. Engaging in Business activities.
8. Infrastructure development of the rural area.
9. Net working with like minded organizations
10. Policy Lobbing and advocacy
11. Promoting ethnic harmonies
12. Promoting Alternative energy
1. Implementing of Social Mobilization programmed
2. Introducing saving/credit for rural/urban poor
3. Implementing of sustainable agriculture projects
4. Implementing of water and sanitation projects.
5. Conducting training on
1. Entrepreneurship development,
2. Information technology,
3. Organic farming,
4. Bee keeping,
5. Mushroom production
6. Traditional treatment for snake bite
7. Proper Kitchen management (rural poor),
6 Forming up small co-operatives groups with poor
7. Organizing village fair
8. Research on Traditional knowledge on Health and Agriculture
10. Conducting language classes for Tamil and Sinhalese People.
11. Constructing Bio-Gas unite.